Wednesday, September 1, 2010

BAKING DAY ~ Pumpkin Cranberry Loaves

How "fall" are these?
This recipe is an adaptation from the cookbook SUGAR by Anna Olsen.
So today is September 1st. I don't know why, maybe with the changing of a season, or the fact that kids are heading back to school, but I always feel that with September comes a fresh start. The air starts to get a little more crisp each night, and as the temperature begins to drop, the comforting wafts of a fire start to fill the air. With it comes comfy fall clothes and even
more comforting food. I think that's one of the reasons I look forward to the season change. I love the rich colours and the rich textures of fall food. The idea of a bountiful harvest and the awaited family gatherings and the tradition! It's just all so comforting.
Anyway, in honour of the fact that Fall seems to be right around the corner, I made something uber fall this morning. Pumpkin loaves filled with cranberries, raisins, pecans and even pumpkin seeds! It doesn't get anymore fall than this!
Here's the recipe. They're really easy to make, in either muffin tins, mini loaf tins or a regular loaf pan, and the pumpkin puree ensures a moist loaf every time!
Enjoy!
PUMPKIN CRANBERRY LOAF
Ingredients:
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 c. unsalted butter at room temperature
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. canned pumpkin puree
1 tbsp. orange zest
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. orange juice
1 1/2 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen.
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices. Set aside. In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Carefully add 1 egg at a time, fully incorporating after each addition. Stir in pumpkin puree, zest and vanilla and once mixed, stir in juice. Add half of the dry ingredients, only mixing until incorporated, and then the same with the second half. Once mixed, fold in cranberries. Spoon batter into greased tins and cook for 60-75 minutes (until a tester comes out clean).


Now for my alterations - I actually use 2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice (the above all combined together) and an extra pinch of cinnamon instead of the cloves, cinnamon and ginger separate.


I also substitute half of the orange zest for lemon zest, just for an extra kick.

I prefer freshly squeezed orange juice to bought, but sometimes you just don't want to squeeze oranges! And to be honest, I don't always think you can taste the difference on this one.


As you can see, I use dry cranberries, as well as raisins, pecans and pumpkin seeds. I like the look of them all in the loaf and it's healthy! I just add each until it makes a total of roughly 1 1/2 cups. I also sprinkle a few of each on top just because it looks pretty and some raw sugar for a bit of a sweet crunch.

5 comments:

  1. Those do say "Fall". I love Fall and you sure get me in the mood for it with this recipe. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like fall. It used to be my favorite season of all. Fall is when we lost our 16 year old son, Joshua to a car accident. I'm finding myself beginning to enjoy the smells of fall, football games...It will just take time-

    take care
    cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very sorry to hear that Cindy. It would take time to begin to enjoy the season again but I find it interesting that the two things that are "fall" feeling to me are a sense of new beginnings and being thankful. If anything this season you can find comfort in the feeling of fresh starts with a thankful heart for the time, though it may have been breif, that you were blessed with your son.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad I found your blog. You can find me at mysparrowsnest.blogspot.com
    I am very new to blogging. I am looking forward to receiving the keys and spools I purchased from you on ets. I am also going to try the pumpkin bread recipe. I was just thinking about pumpkin bread. Your blog is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always find it a pain to squeeze oranges but the orange juice from them is so much better then the commercial stuff. Most orange juice you buy is really watered down.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments! I always love reading them. - Maria