Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Caesar Salad

 
I love salads.
 
They are a favourite for lunch, and an easy dinner when I'm home and Ryan is working late. But when I'm eating a salad for dinner, I need substance. I'm not looking for a simple pile of lettuce.
 
Bold dressings, berries, crumbled cheese, sauteed meat, candied nuts, seeds, eggs!
 
Now those are salads.
The possibilities are practically endless.
 
Here is my favourite Caesar salad.
 
It's especially delicious with homemade croutons and crisp prosciutto.
However, I'm trying to be good.
 
 
A few key ingredients - Crisp Romaine, Freshly cooked chicken breast, cucumber, Parmesan shavings and a delicious homemade dressing.
 
 
I was never one to add eggs to my salads, however, it really is delicious. I like mine soft so that the yoke mixes with the dressing and makes it even creamier. Plus, it's more protein, which means I'm full longer.
 
 
 
On one date, Ryan and I went to a classic Italian restaurant in the city and our waiter, who wasn't young, came out with a rolling cart stocked with ingredients. He crushed anchovies, mashed garlic and prepared the entire salad from scratch right in front of us. It was the most amazing (and expensive) Caesar salad I've ever had.
 
 
The dressing recipe is from Martha Stewart, however, I don't make it exactly and tend to free-hand. I don't add near as much lemon juice, nor the anchovies as I never have them, and I like to make it the consistency more of a vinaigrette by adding oil and finely grated Parmesan.
 
 
Though he won't touch a salad, he still loves snacking on fruit and veggies. Maybe because he can make his cucumbers into mustaches?

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back and congrats on the new baby boy.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks deliscious and beautiful! I found you thru KarenLarko's blog....I will be eback, your blog is gorgeous, and I do love food!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments! I always love reading them. - Maria