Sunday, May 4, 2014

Eriostemon and Hardscaping the Front Yard


One of my favourite parts of working at the store is picking out the cut flowers for our hand-tied bouquets. Twice a week our flower truck arrives with buckets full of fresh flowers; some in season from local growers, and others imported. Most of what is available is common, but there always seems to be something I haven't seen before, or something particularly special that isn't in season yet.

Last week, I took home a few bunches of Peonies. They were quite expensive as they were imported from Holland, but they were a lovely treat. I've had them on my night table and they are taking their sweet time opening, which I don't mind at all.

This week I discovered Eriostemon. It's actually a bunch of greenery but it has delicate little white flowers on it and the most beautiful, fresh scent. It's like a hint of bright lemon.

 I think a whole bunch of cuttings look beautiful as an arrangement.  




Oliver, all cozy in his favourite spot.








This weekend we also started the hardscaping in our front yard.

Ryan and I removed the old brick pathway to the front door. It will be replaced with a flagstone pathway.



We also had all of the existing sod (or what was left of it at least) scraped off. This week new soil will be added and our gardens will be raised, and weather permitting, we will start laying our pathway. We've also finished getting some quotes for our roof. You can see how awful it is in this photo. It was our "big renovation" we were planning on doing last year... But then our furnace needed to be replaced... And then we needed to decommission our septic tank. And so it had to wait.

4 comments:

  1. It's going to look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wanted to say that we are becoming inspired by your blog to research the feasibility of opening our own shop in our area. We are also on Lake Erie near Cleveland and we know a lot about wine but one of us really loves antiques! textiles! and vintage goods.
    Plus, we love that you provide beautiful plants and flowers and baked goods. We have also talked about artisan cheeses, breads, and dried meats. We plan on coming your way this summer. I have to see your beautiful brick walls in person! They are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzanne of Simply Suzannes at Home

    The eriostemon bouquet is quite beautiful in your family room. Your white/beige couches in background make the green leaves and small white flower buds stand out. And the peonies . . . gorgeous! I love the brick wall and wood floors in your folk's shoppe.
    You're going to laugh . . . When I saw the first photo of your beautiful herringbone walkway, I sighed and admired its beauty . . . and then gasped (out loud) when I saw that you demolished it. I would miss it so.
    Looking forward to seeing the transformation of your front yard!
    Wishing you a happy Mother's Day weekend with your family,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne,

      If it wasn't such a hazard, due to improper foundation, and if I wasn't making it three times the size, I would have loved to have kept it! I at least kept the old bricks that were in good condition to use somewhere else.

      Maria

      Delete

Thanks for leaving your comments! I always love reading them. - Maria