Friday, February 20, 2015

The Living Room



We have had a whirlwind of a week, and before the week is over, I wanted to share some photos of what the living room looks like now that it's finished.

Now, let's be honest. By "finished", I don't really mean finished, finished. Is a room ever really finished? I don't think so.

But, for now, it's as finished as it's going to be.


You'll notice my large empty frame is missing. I intended to hang it above the loveseat, but I'm afraid it might be too much on that wall. It's still undecided.








As you can see, the layout has changed around a bit. Our love seat has been moved to the right wall, and the display case where the love seat used to be. Because of the narrow depth of the display case, we were able to squeeze in an arm chair in front of it by the bay window. I've been on the hunt for a smaller occasional chair, and I've come across some good options, but until then, this one adds an extra seat.

The general opinion is that this layout is the most flattering for the space. 

Here are a few photos of different variations of this same room. It's actually quite ridiculous how many times it's changed... But it's been an evolvement of personal style, and finding what's most efficient.


Our living room when we first moved in. It was very dark.


After a year or two, I finally tackled trying to put my own stamp on the space.

Theses couches are actually burnt orange, and because they're a camel-back shape, you can't buy slipcovers for them. I did find generic covers though, and I tucked and tied to try to make them work on a budget. I still have these couches in hopes of one day recovering them.

Also, I had painted the entire space grey. This was when grey started to become quite popular. I regretted it as soon as I put away my paintbrushes. I forced myself to live with it for a few weeks, but I didn't love it. So out everything came again, and I repainted it white - the colour I really wanted to paint it, but was too scared to.

Five years later, I've never repainted a different colour, and am just as happy today as I was then with the look.


Here we have the white walls, and you can see that over time, my style is becoming less cluttered and more focused. However, this layout provided us with only three seats thanks to the piano. Soon after, the piano left, and while I loved the look of it, I was thankful for the extra space.


A new coffee table was purchased, as well as a darker slip cover, and any clutter that was in the space was now completely removed.



Today, while I wouldn't call the room cluttered, I do feel it's more curated.

There is now comfortable enough seating for five, with an occasional chair to the side of the room for the possibility of seating for six.





This is the view from our master. The main bath is to the right, and the front entrance is the french door behind the pair of arm chairs.

It's funny how different the space looks, and how quickly you forget.

4 comments:

  1. I really like your pretty uncluttered space. I like the intentional choice of accessories. The cabinet balances the off centre window nicely. In my opinion, extra seating is always welcome. I can't figure out where the books in the last photos are. I painted our living room walls white a few years ago and have since carried white into our dining room, kitchen and part of our family room. The next rooms to go white soon will be our bedroom and upper hallway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth,

      If you look at the photo of our first living room, or the oldest photo of it rather, there is a little built-in on the right of the room. Directly across from that is a built-in bookcase. It's under the staircase. If you look at the last photo, it would be directly to the left when you step into the room.

      Also, my love of white carried on into every other room as well, except our small front entrance. That is still the same original beige.

      Maria

      Delete
    2. Wow, that cabinet looks so very good in there. And how fun to have shelves to change out when you get the urge! From the pictures at least, it makes the room look bigger too. Great find.

      Delete
    3. I feel the same way. It definitely feels more open.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving your comments! I always love reading them. - Maria