Thursday, December 28, 2017

christmas morning brunch


Does anyone else feel like Christmas seems to come and go more quickly with each year that passes?
Like, much more quickly?

I felt like I was so prepared - shopping done, gifts wrapped, menus planned - but still, as the day would get closer, things would come up. I'd remember a gift I still needed to wrap that I couldn't remember where I hid for the life of me, Ryan would remember a secret Santa gift he'd need, or a potluck item he'd have to bring to work.

We really made an effort this year to be intentional about what we were going to commit to, and what we would spend time doing over the holidays. We had a busier start to the month, but the actual week of Christmas was slower and more relaxing. It was lovely.

It also helped us not get so caught up in the activities of Christmas, and spend more time focusing on the true meaning of the season - the birth of our Saviour.


On Christmas morning, we host my family for brunch. I love hosting it, but one of the main reasons we do it, is so that we don't have to go anywhere on Christmas morning. It just works out perfectly for us. We have lots of time as a family to open gifts, and then as everyone is busy trying out their new toys, I put an apron on, and get breakfast started.


I also love setting the table and love that we have a space large enough for us to all sit down together.




I really lucked out this year with grocery store flowers. Usually I would order flowers from our flower truck, but I wasn't able to, and was left hoping the grocery store in town had something that would work. Dark Red Hypercum and a dozen White Roses worked perfectly, especially when I added some bits of evergreen.


I also used some of my red transferware.


And while we all fit around the dining room table, the kids have their own special table.


But they still expect it to be special!


Something I did differently this year was add a large wreath to the stone wall. I love the greens against the stone, and it didn't get any easier than hanging a wreath.


This was our Christmas buffet.
- Sausages and Bacon
- Potato and Onion Frittata
- Breakfast Tarts with Bacon, Scallions and Cheddar or Goat's Cheese
- French Toast Bake
- Fresh Fruit
- Ina's Easy Sticky Buns (which I made bit size)
- Olliebolen (which are like Dutch donuts, and were still warming in the oven)



Here the boys are, playing at my grandparents' farm on Christmas Eve. As a girl, I came every Christmas Eve, and we ate and visited with our cousins way past bed time. Now, we're all married with children of our own and we don't do this any more, but the invitation to come is always there. We decided last minute to go and visit, and I'm so glad we did. My aunt, who lives there with my Papa, had the entire house (literally every possible surface) decorated for Christmas. She had set the table with my Nana's antique Christmas china and special Cornflower glasses. She had trays of treats and homemade Eggnog and so much food it was crazy. I just loved seeing the boys doing what I loved doing when I was their age - Christmas Eve, celebrating with family, beyond excited for the next morning.


Us opening gifts on Christmas morning - Jude is just getting old enough that he is starting to understand the excitement!


All the cousins!


Opa and Nonna, and their six crazy grandsons.

I hope your Christmas was as wonderful as ours was.
Merry Christmas, from our family to yours.

13 comments:

  1. How absolutely exquisite! Your decor, the food, the heartwarming visit at your grandparents' farm with so many kids. It made my heart warm just to read this! Many thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a beautiful family and home. You are very blessed indeed! Your post just described the perfect Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn. It was perfect to me! Happiest New Year.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful post! Your house/home looks beautifully decorated and your brunch looks delicious. But your trip to your grandparents made me want to cry because it reminded me so much of my own visits to my grandparents on Christmas eve, magical and filled with family and tasty treats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was the sweetest things. I loved that we were able to do it.

      Happy New Year, Elizabeth!

      Delete
  4. I don't think my first comment came through...so just in case...I love this post, your home, your descriptions of how you celebrated. I just feel all cozy and warm inside. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Maria it is beautiful!!! All of it. But my absolute favorite is not your home but the photos of your family, in particular the one at your grandparents home. It brought tears to my eyes and the story of your visit was such an emotionally moving one. But back to your home and food. It is the best of the best and perfect in my eyes. And is that brown sugar cubes! I never! I grew up with white sugar cubes at special times and my grandmother had them and told me in Norway they would put the sugar cube in their mouth and then drink their coffee/tea. So occasionally I will buy it and now I will look for brown sugar cubes as I love the colors of nature. Thank you for a wonderful post! And now I am on the search for a species of hypericum Mocca to purchase and plant! Wish me luck as I am not having much luck finding any but one online shop The Gardeners Exchange that list Hypericum and they do not list the species so I await their return email. Best wishes for a blessed and joyous New Year with some of what you want, some of what you need, and some to give away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karen!
      Thank you for the comments. I hope you find your plant and brown sugar cubes - they're called Pure Cane Rough Cubes by la Perruche. I like that it tastes like raw sugar.

      Anyway, happiest New Year!
      Maria

      Delete
  6. Check out the latest Merry Christmas And Happy New Year Quotes to share with your friends and family members. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments! I always love reading them. - Maria